Depression
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 15, 2024

Why Everyone Should Watch Fight Club

Why Everyone Should Watch Fight Club
Fight Club, starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt,and Helena Bonham Carter, is probably one of the bestmovies ever to be made. Almost twenty-five years old,it still ranks high on every chart, and as it should be, amI right? Two hours and nineteen minutes full of poeticbeauty, redefining life as we know it and asking all thequestions we’re afraid to ask. It’s full of beautiful chaosand havoc. From the very beginning, it’s enticing andengaging, pulling you in for the rest of the movie.Although the remaining scenes are the greatest scenesof the entire movie, it’s the beginning that makes it thebest. And that is why I’m here to convince you to take alittle over two hours out of your life to watch this great masterpiece.Now I’m not here to spoil everything or force my opinion onto yours, this is purely justfor fun, and if you haven’t seen it, hopefully after this you will. Because I swear, it’s soremarkable. The movie starts with Edward Norton, who is our unnamed narrator, visiting allthese different kinds of therapy groups to help with his insomnia. For some reason, crying intothe arms of dying strangers feels better than any medicine. It makes him feel as close as he canget to death without actually reaching it. And these therapy groups are where he meets MarlaSinger (Helena Bonham Carter) and exchange numbers to never see each other again, sinceshe’s stealing his spotlight. And with that, he moves on.The narrator leaves the relieving feelings of the therapy groups and moves on to travel.He loves taking random plane trips to nowhere in particular and staying at hotels with no ties toanyone. Sitting next to random strangers is having friends you don’t have to be emotionallyavailable for. And this is where our lovely narrator meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). Tyler Durdenis a charismatic, powerful soap maker the narrator instantly clings to. So after meeting him, thenarrator returns to his city to find his apartment blown to shreds. With no family, and nofriends, who is he supposed to call? Oh, wait! Tyler Durden gave him a business call with hisnumber on it. So guess what? Durden called him back.The two meet up and head to a bar to drink and talk. As they’re walking out, Tyler looksto the narrator and says, “Hit me.” And at first, you’re like what? What is this? Why would Tylerwant him to hit him just because? And I’ll admit, as a woman this part didn’t click as much. But I

can understand the relief of hitting and getting hit, it’s a pain that takes away other pains, and it
gives you the control you’re longing for. So after the narrator moves in with Tyler Durden in hisempty abandoned house, they use the bar parking lot as a place to beat the living crap out ofeach other. They’ve built this whole routine together, and soon it gathers a crowd. Butobviously you can’t just sucker punch someone out in the open, they need to move itunderground. And that’s what begins their very own fight club.Over time, it grows and grows. But the thing about fight club is how it’s casual regularpeople gathering in this random basement to fight other casual regular people. Tyler createsthis list of rules for the fight club to make sure everything stays in check. Because the club isn’tabout abusing people and taking your anger out, it’s about manhood and the risk of death.Everyone apart of fight club is finally in control of some part of their lives, it gives them a senseof purpose now. Maybe they think they’re doing something good for the world, or maybe it’sjust for themselves. Either way, it’s a club they can depend on. And that’s what they need. It’sbeautiful in its very own strange way.Soon, the club transforms into something much more. People are hearing story afterstory about Tyler Durden, and these stories are traveling back to the narrator who’s prettymuch just like bro what is going on, I helped create this fight club too. And instead of findingcontrol over his life, it starts to untangle into a huge mess and gets out of hand. He’s goingcrazy now and wants to push all these people out of his life because now it’s just taking over.You can see the regret fill up inside the narrator. How is he going to stop it? I mean, at thispoint he can either leave it all behind or continue with whatever he’s doing. But what happensif he stops it, some too many people know and depend on him. Does the fight club continuewithout him? Does it take over on its own? Although nothing can thrive without a leader. Howdid Tyler Durden randomly pop up in his life out of nowhere and completely change it? Whoreally is Tyler Durden? I swear, you must watch it.Now I know I’m just some seventeen-year-old girl who doesn’t really understand theconcepts of manhood and what’s it all about, but I promise you this movie is worth it. You maybe a happy person and think of yourself as a selfless, optimistic kind of person, which I’m notsaying you aren’t! Nevertheless, at one point we’ve all felt like Fight Club. We’ve all thought likeFight Club. We’ve all been like Fight Club. But one thing you need to know. Don’t talk aboutFight Club