Depression
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 15, 2024

Ranking Lana Del R

Ranking Lana Del R
Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, or Lana Del Rey, isthe cooler, more poetic version of Taylor Swift if youdon’t know who she is. She’s an American singer,songwriter, and record producer. Lana Del Rey ishonestly the William Shakespeare of our century, and Ican say that with most certainty. She’s known for herbaroque pop and alternative styles throughout the musicworld.Starting in just 2008 at age twenty-three, thesinger started releasing music as Lizzy Grant, butnothing went big until 2011 with her debut single,‘Video Games’ and shortly after, her album ‘Born toDie’, where she released her new title, Lana Del Rey.Ever since then, she became a humungous hit. Itwasn’t until eight years later that I discovered her angelicvoice. ‘Brooklyn Baby’ and ‘Young and Beautiful’, were the epidemy of my junior highexistence.Moreover, it wasn’t until the beginning of high school that I dove headfirst into thewonderful channels of Lanita Bonita. Barely sixteen, just been broken up with, she was mysavior. No one could have better healed me than Lana Del Rey with her sugary voice andmeaningful words.Ever since the release of ‘Born to Die’, it has been Lana Del Rey’s best-selling albumwith ‘Honeymoon’ following close behind, according to most articles. It’s an extremelycontroversial topic on how each nine albums should be ranked because her most popular songsare from various albums. ‘Summertime Sadness’ from ‘Paradise’ which is an extended version of‘Born to Die’, her single, ‘Say Yes To Heaven’ and ‘Young and Beautiful’, ‘West Coast’ from‘Ultraviolence’, and ‘Radio’ from ‘Paradise’ once again. Anyway, you’re dealing with Lana DelRey’s number one fan, so I’m here to rank her nine albums and give reasons why they’re rankedas they are.
#1: UltraviolenceAs I hinted earlier, ‘Ultraviolence’ is listed as No. one due to the angelic poetry itportrays. Released on June 13, 2014, as the third studio album from the artist. Now the reason Iadore this album so much is how she incorporates Rock with Dream Pop with Jazz, all into abeautiful arrangement of ecstasy. Fifteen songs full of poetic wonder, that so many people canrelate to in one way or another. Lana Del Rey has pulled inspiration from Elvis Presley, PriscillaPresley, and Marilyn Monroe all together, and we see each of those aesthetics in this album.Think of Ultraviolence as the emo, nightmare version of the California dream we know as ‘Bornto Die’. But you shouldn’t judge this album like a picture book.

#2: Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd.
Her most recent album, only one year old, is filled with spectacular locals, lyrics, andaesthetics. Sixteen whole songs, including two interludes, represent the coquettish dream Lanahas become. It begins with the choir rehearsal and ends with the piano sustain, drawing you incloser with each song. You must let the light in with this album. From the time I discovered‘Ultraviolence’ to now, I have changed in many ways. So although I used to relate more to thelyrics of ‘Ultraviolence’, when her ninth album dropped I cried. How could all these words hitright where they needed to? This album is honestly the most angelic album she has ever made.
#3: Born to Die/ ParadiseI know ‘Born to Die’ and ‘Paradise’ are two completely different albums, but in this case,I’ll be ranking them together, since ‘Paradise’ is just an extended version of ‘Born to Die’.‘Paradise’ includes all the original twelve songs plus the deluxe edition of nine more. I love thisalbum because of the funk it has, and the summer feel you get listening to it. It’s almost like Iwas born to listen to this paradise-like album. Yeah? It portrays beautifully how Del Rey felt inthis period of her life, and the art she was able to create with her experiences.
#4: HoneymoonHoneymoon isn’t Ultraviolence by any means. Honeymoon is like the euphoric, etherealversion, giving us fourteen songs expressing the divinity of Lana Del Rey. I wouldn’t rank theentire album No. one; however, I would rank the crossfading segue we hear in this album to benumber one. The transition from one song to the next is the most heavenly thing we could hearfrom her. For example, ‘Freak’ transitioning into ‘Art Deco’ is literally a gift from God. Whenyou’re feeling your best, Honeymoon is the album you go to. It’s the kind of album you slowdance to rock music.
#5: NFRDue to this being a school paper, I’m going to refer to the shortened name of this album asNFR. NFR is angelic in the same way as Honeymoon, but it’s more somber and sweeter. When Ifeel like I run the world, I listen to Honeymoon, however, when I feel like I’m being run by theworld, I choose NFR. Fourteen perfectly orchestrated songs wrapped in ribbon. It’s just about thebest next American record.
#6: Lust For LifeI’ll admit it, Lust For Life has always given me the same vibes as Born to Die, however,Lust For Life is filled with more fire and excitement. The features on this album bring out soundswe forget are there, which include, The Weekend, A$AP Rocky, Playboy Carti, Stevie Nicks,and Sean Ono Lennon, all mobilizing a flawless structure of music throughout the whole album.It’s a bummer it’s not summer yet to listen to this.
#7: Chemtrails Over the Country ClubChemtrails Over the Country Club only released three years ago in March, has reached thetop five in twenty countries, including the U.S. where it peaked at number two on the Billboard200. The difference between this album and the rest is the folk and country folk vibe she renders. According to the Variety, they say, “As lovely as it is, “Chemtrails Over the Country Club”occasionally feels a little too light- free of the lyrical heft and often dizzying experimentation ofprevious albums.” In conclusion, this album is wild at heart and even if it’s not my favoritealbum, I can catch myself listening to it over and over again, especially on a cool summer evening.
#8: Blue BanistersRearmost nevertheless just as importantly, Blue Banisters. Blue Banisters released thesame year as Chemtrails Over the Country Club in the fall, arrived at a difficult time for LanaDel Rey. After being criticized day after day from her music to her brand of feminism, to herchoice of face masks during the pandemic. It’s exhausting being such a living legend, so shecoped by releasing this beautiful array of delight spread out into fifteen songs. This album isprevalent in the world during Covid-19 and Black Lives Matter, and that’s why I love it. It’s atime we all remember with each of our own stories, especially now that it’s completely forgottenthat it ever happened. I love Blue Banisters because it’s calm and collected and feels like what apearl necklace looks like.
In conclusion, Lana Del Rey is a beautifully talented artist who deserves everything goodthis world has to offer. If you ask me, no one deserves a Grammy more than her; especially ‘DidYou Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd.” because it’s something we haven’t heardbefore. It includes the most celestial vocals and elegant lyrics that we’ve ever seen. Lana DelRey is what brought back the bow trend, she has influenced girlhood and simply just the mediafor decades. In Lana do we trust.